Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March 5, 2010 (Morning): Samuel Gompers Celebration of Black History Month and Women History Month












































Energetic, curious, bold and did I mention energetic?! The students at Samuel Gompers Elementary School are by far one of my favorite groups of students! During this particular visit I joined the students and faculty at the Black History Month Closing Ceremony (previously scheduled assemblies had to be rescheduled due to snow). There was singing, poetry reading, and trivia as the students discussed all of the contributions African Americans have made in world history. The students sang Lift Every Voice soooo robustly, it could be heard all the way down the hall and out onto the side walk! I was so proud :-) When it was my opportunity to speak, I discussed additional African American women who have made remarkable contributions to humanity to celebrate both Black History and Women's History month. I shared my personal story of difficulties growing up and encouraged the students to always strive for excellence!! I learn so much each time I talk with the students -- they are invigorating and remind me of the importance of supporting our next generation of leaders!
In His service....

No comments:

Post a Comment