Sunday, March 28, 2010

March 27 (Afternoon), 2010: Rising Stars Celebration and Fashion Show













Models, designers, seamstresses and intellectuals. And did I mention under the age of 16?! These ambitious girls took part in the Rising Stars Mentorship program. In this program, they learned the necessary skills to develop into strong, classy young women, focused on their goals and not afraid to say NO to negative situations. I was blown away when I saw each young woman glide across the runway and then I learned that the pieces they were modeling were designed, sketched and sewn by each model! Some of the girls were even awarded scholarships to the MOORE Institute of Design--talk about off to a great start! (Maybe they can design my pageant gown...hmmmm...) As a keynote speaker, I was excited to see emphasis on EDUCATION and PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY with students of such an early point in their lives. We must start instilling confidence in our girls from infancy and I was encouraged to witness the overwhelming amount of support these young women received from the mothers, fathers, grandmothers and extended friends and family.
It may take more than my year of service to "Restore the vision for our communities" and it truly takes a village to raise a child, but we can do it! It starts with one young woman, one person with a vision, one mentor, the commitment of one day a week, the faith of one mustard seed.... Let the restoration begin!


In His service...

No comments:

Post a Comment