Wednesday, February 24, 2010

February 3, 2010: One Book, One Philadelphia

SUDDEN! Stories: The One Book, One Philadelphia program strives to promote literacy and reading, while unifying the city through literature. The current selection is called The Complete Persepolis, and it is the author's account of coming of age in Iran among polital revolution and social turmoil. The Sudden Stories series discusses the reading selection and guides the participants through the process of creating their own stories--with one huge twist: the entire story can only be 10-15 sentences long! **Phew** The instructor asked us 10 (seemingly unrelated) questions that we had to answer--and the answers were melded together to become our story :-) My "SUDDEN Story" was as follows:

I spent my last vacation in the mountainous town of Neiba near the Dominican Republic/Haitian border. And when I got there, Lynnette told me that she needed me to babysit for her tomorrow afternoon. I was wearing a green and tan halter top, with denim shorts. It was the perfect summer outfit-fun, feminine and breezy. I can vividly recall buying the blouse at Melinda's House of Fashion when I worked there after my Freshmen year at Drexel University. "Are you comfortable watching the twins by yourself?", Lynnette asked me. It is supposed to snow again this weekend. I wonder if he knows what he is doing in the kitchen. I feel like I should offer my assistance with either putting the fire out or being the designated taster. The smoke alarm starts to blare. I open the window, pull the small oscillating fan from the closet and set it up near the window. I take the dish towel and begin the fan the smoke alarm. The smoke alarm stopped.

Are you confused yet? LOL! It needs some tweaking but I think it was a great start! Miriam Kotzin (pictured) was one of my favorite professors at Drexel University and served as a catalyst for my writing development. I was overjoyed that she was able to join us for this event!!

Until next time, let the restoration continue....

No comments:

Post a Comment