Wednesday, May 19, 2010

May 19, 2010: Voices: African American and Latina Women Share their Stories of Success





















































"I decided as an adolescent that I wasn't going to be what the racists talked about when they said Blacks don't work hard" - Estelle B. Richman, Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare
"You don't have to know exactly where you're going. You just have to start walking." --Patricia A. Coulter, President/CEO Urban League of Philadelphia
Words of wisdom from two of the extraordinary women featured in Voices: African American and Latina Women Share their Stories of Success .
This powerful, pictorial collaboration of Pennsylvania's 50 most influential women in the fields of medicine, education, legislature, business, arts, technology and non-profit arena, examines what it takes to excel in today's society. The stories are inspirational and "real"--they are not sugar coated depictions of success, but authentic reflections about the triumph and pitfalls in the journey to excellence.
As Miss Black Pennsylvania USA there are stereotypes that I must struggle against each day; prejudices towards women, minorites, students, twenty-somethings and beauty queens. I have worked extremely hard to achieve the positions that I have attained and I continue to strive daily to maintain the high standards I have set for myself. Taking part in this celebration of "Minority Womanhood" further emboldens me to continue the pursuit of my endeavors-- and who knows, maybe oneday I will be celebrated for my perseverence, as these women so eloquently were!
In His service...







No comments:

Post a Comment