Sunday, July 18, 2010

July 14, 2010: Project Forward Leap!







Project Forward Leap (PFL) is an intense multiple year academic program for students grades 5-12 that helps to create high standards and good habits that will prepare them for life after high school. PFL is committed to "closing the gaps of academic achievement by providing challenging and equal educational opportunities to students whose achievement of academic potential is put at serious risk by socio-economic disadvantages." As I learned about PFL I became increasingly impressed with their approach to academic success. The program coordinators understood that the students need year-round support, thus they organize tutoring and weekend programs throughout the school year. With this approach they have achieved a 95% high school graduation rate and an 85% college matriculation rate!! (Most of the urban areas served have about a 50% high school graduation rate.)

During our afternoon together, the PFL students and I (aka my 99 new bff's) discussed career goals, the importance of perseverance, the benefits of hardwork and most importantly how to have a holiday named in your honor (wink, wink).
To my new friends: Thank you for spending the afternoon with me :) I love your enthusiasm and I am soooo proud of each one of you. I expect GREAT things and I look forward to watching as each of you fulfill your life "platforms"!
To support Project Forward Leap's awesome mission, visit: www.projectforwardleap.org
In His service...

No comments:

Post a Comment