Saturday, June 5, 2010

June 2, 2010: Webster Elementary School Take 25/Peace Week
















H.A.L.T ! A command to ward off offenders? Nope- its an acronym to assess your immediate feelings. We learned that before we act on our emotions, we are going to step back, take a 10 second timeout and ask ourselves if we are Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired--it is amazing what a little nap can do! This is critical because although we may choose our actions we cannot choose the consequences. Also during my time hanging with my new friends at Webster Elementary School, my sisters and I discussed a wide variety of topics ranging from emotions to understanding boys/brothers (boys are weird) to our topic du jour Internet Safety. In today's "connected" society our youth are gaining increased exposure to a wide variety of influences, thus it is important that they are educated about social skills on and offline. Research shows that less than 30% of childrfen who receive unwanted sexual advances online report it to a parent or guardian--the threat is unfortunate, but very real! For more information on protecting children from internet predators, visit www.take25.org/page.asp?page=55
Spending time with young girls is always the highlight of my school visits--I started off with no sisters, now I have over 100!! :)
In His service....



No comments:

Post a Comment